In case you missed Deltek’s White Paper: State Health & Human Services Budget Analysis and Forecast 2015, this week's GovList highlights 5 Facts About HHS Budgets. Check back next week for more from #GovList!
- Health and Human Services spending amounts to nearly 40% of state budgets. In some states (Iowa and Maine, for example) HHS budgets account for nearly 55% of all state spending.
- State HHS budget growth has slowed from its peak during the Affordable Care Act (ACA) implementation, but is still on pace to grow at 3.9% CAGR from 2015-2020.
- Though most ACA-related IT spending is behind us, there are still many opportunities in states that expanded Medicaid.
- Human services IT infrastructure took a backseat to health care programs in the recent past, but this will likely change as states refocus on aging human services technology in the coming years.
- HHS budget growth has outpaced, and will continue to outpace, overall budget and revenue growth. This means increased opportunity for solutions offering efficiency and cost-saving measures. Though states will surely look for solutions to slow HHS growth, there is still abundant opportunity for vendors in the state HHS market.
By Stephen Moss, Health and Human Services Analyst at Deltek